[antlr-interest] simple function call translator

jm42163jm jmcclain at tcshealthcare.com
Fri Nov 19 09:23:00 PST 2004

Howdy, at work, we have a simple rules engine in powerbuilder that
reads a condition field, a operator field, a result field and a
consequence field from a table. This information is entered to the
table via client server app to define when to apply computed fields
and field properties (hidden, disabled, etc..) to a client / server
screen - similar to a rudimentary workflow e.g.
condition field: function(paramter_expression, parameter_
expresion,...)

operator: standar logical operator

result: function(paramter_expression, paramter_ expression,...)

parameter_expression: could be another function call, a
value/variable, or an expression

the consequence will be a computed field, e.g. function call, a
value/variable, or an expression

we need to be able to translate these powerbuilder function calls
into java function calls that reproduce the same functionality

what tool is best to do this type of translation?

what do I do since I do not have a formal grammar - I only have the
function declarations, and an understanding that this does not have
to be completey robust as only a subset of powerbuilder functions are
involved and there are no standard programming constructs (loops,
conditions, assignments, etc..)?