[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR-based Bug Finder

Steve stevegianvecchio at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 19 23:13:00 PST 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "atripp54321" <atripp at c...>
wrote:

> --- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Steve"
<stevegianvecchio at h...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am just finishing work on multi-language error detection tool
> built
> > using ANTLR. The tool analyzes ASTs built from Java, Pascal, and
> > grammars to find logic errors.
> >
> > I'd like to take this error detection tool and catch some bugs.
> This
> > isn't an ANTLR question, just asking for suggestions.  What types
> of
> > common logic errors are easy to find in real world programs? I
can
> > find many different types of simple rule-based errors with the
tool
> > such as:
> >
> > Never divide by 0.
> > Never dereference a null pointer.
> > Never use an uninitialized variable.
> >
> > The tool currently works for Java and Pascal.
>
> Sorry, I have no answers...just questions...
> So you're doing control-flow analysis?
> Do you have any documentation on how it works?
> What's the product called, and what license is it under?
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,

The rules I mentioned above are checked using very simple value
tracking. There is no flow control being done.

The work that I am currently finishing is the first functional
version of the tool. This is basically a proof-of-concept and needs
to be tested against real world code to see if my approach works. If
it works well I plan on releasing a later version into the public
domain. The project is unnamed and mainly undocumented at this point.

Steve