[antlr-interest] Re: Translators Should Use Tree Grammars

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Tue Nov 23 13:54:35 PST 2004

> atripp54321 wrote:
>

>>What's the most complex translator that that people
>>have seen? (Complex meaning functionality, not internals).

The most complex translator I've seen elsewhere is CCured
http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/ccured/index.html

The C Intermediate Language which CCured is based upon is a very well
thought out piece of software.  They reduce C to a basic set of
primitives, for instance all loops become while(1) loops with explicit
breaks.  See
http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/cil005.html#sec-cabs2cil for details.

This basic set of primitives is more useful for C to C transformations
and not well suited to translating C to another language.  That said,
reducing the complexity of C to the subset makes it easier to write
analysis and translation code because there are far fewer variations to
deal with.

This software is written in OCaml and I've had more than one client
dismiss the tool because of that.

In any case I highly recommend studying this tool because it gives
excellent details on what is involved in a serious translation project.

Monty