[antlr-interest] treecc: AOP Approach to Writing Compilers

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Wed Nov 24 10:07:09 PST 2004

Alexey,

  Thanks for posting this.  This is quite interesting.  Many of my ML
friends gush about being able to do things like this in ML.  I suspect
there is room to bring the sort of exhaustive pattern machine and
high-level type descriptions of ML into a more mainstream environment
like ANLTR.

  Have you given any thought to implementing these kinds of pattern
matching features in TreeDL?!  I'm already quite interested in TreeDL
but pattern matching capabilities would be a fascinating addition.

  I'm no compiler expert, but I can't help but see lots of related but
not quite cohesive ideas floating around on this subject.  The recent
thread on tree grammars (to use or not to use) plus the comments I've
gotten from my ML friends along with my own experiences gives me the
sense that perhaps there is a way to formulate these ideas in a more
universal way.  Personally, I like the pattern matching approach in ML
because it seems like something that can be analyzed more (e.g. for
holes) than a tree grammar.  It also seems like it maps more to the
compilation stages (type inference, constant folding, etc).  But I'll
say it again "I'm no compiler expert".

  Thanks again.

P.S. - I don't quite see the AOP part of Treecc.  It really just seems
like a high-level data model language that supports code generation for
the underlying data structures.  Of course, I still don't get AOP so
maybe that is why I can't see it.

--
Mike