[antlr-interest] Re: HumAnt (XML is evil and other non-ANTLR topics)

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 18:48:03 PST 2004

--- micheal_jor <open.zone at virgin.net> wrote:
> --- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, iank at b...
> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >   And then there is Ant, that also takes XML as
> input.
> >   Yech!  HumAnt sounds like a great idea.
>
> Only as a Ant preprocessor. Why re-invent the [Ant]
> wheel hey?.
>
> In any case, who would maintain a forked HumAnt
> version of Ant in
> future when Ter is busy with ANTLR3, StringTemplate,
> lectures, new
> projects etc...

Indeed.  Fear not, Micheal... know that there are
basically two ways to implement HumAnt without
necessitating ongoing maintenance.  First, Ant is
structured to allow pluggable Project configuration so
that HumAnt could provide an implementation of a class
called ProjectHelper.  This might allow more freedom
in the syntax definition although I don't expect there
to be much freedom to be won from the basic concepts
of XML attributes and elements.  A second and simpler
option is, as you seem to suggest, to implement HumAnt
so that it provides a SAX Parser implementation,
emitting XML events from non-XML input.  Perhaps a
hack but also much easier to implement...

-Matt