[antlr-interest] How to determine execution path?

Steve stevegianvecchio at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 9 18:30:45 PDT 2004

Greetings,

    This is more of a compiler question than an ANTLR question. I
will give some background on what I'm doing, which you can probably
skip, because the question itself is at the end.

BACKGROUND:

    I am building an error detection tool for an academic project
that detects errors by finding conflicting statements in the code.
The target language will likely be Java, but I'd like to be able to
extend the tool to work with other languages.

Example:

initial statement: int x=0; implies that "x is 0."
later statement: x=y/x; implies that "x is not 0." (can't divide by
zero)
contradiction: "x is 0" and "x is not 0"

(This is a simplification of Dawson Engler's approach to error
detection.)

I was planning on using ANTLR to create an abstract syntax tree which
would be traversed to generate implications of each statement and
then search for conflicts. The implications would need to be
propogated based on execution path, the further the better.

THE QUESTION:

-How to determine execution path?

It would be ideal to not code this myself if the functionality is
available in an open source tool. I would appreciate any information
that can be provided, even if it is just pointing me in the right
direction.

Many thanks,

Steve