[antlr-interest] Re: Recognize letters

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Wed Oct 13 05:01:01 PDT 2004

Hi,

> If I got the documentation right, the lexer derives the character
> vocabulary automatically from the used characters in the lexer rules.
>  With the option 'charVocabulary' you can override the derived
> vocabulary. But even if you use
>
> charVocabulary='\3'..'\377' | '\u00E1';
>
> (standard ASCII enhanced with your special character)

I would strongly advise against this. If you want to recognize
international characters like the á or German ß you shoud definetly use
Unicode. You can achieve this by using the Unicode specifiers
(\uxxxx..\uxxxx) anywhere in your app.

The world is full of applications that fail as soon as someone enters a
character from a language they don't know. With Unicode we can make it a
better place ;-)

mfg
Martin