[antlr-interest] errors with extended 8bit ascii chars

jcdur Jean-Claude.Durand at imag.fr
Tue Oct 19 11:39:25 PDT 2004

   In French we need extended ascii chars such as à, ù, é,
etc.

   When I use some of this chars in rules or even in comments,
I get an error like the following:

java antlr.Tool  DecvarAS.g
ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.4   1989-2004 jGuru.com
error: Token stream error reading grammar(s):
DecvarAS.g:12:12: expecting '*', found ' '
TokenStreamException: expecting '*', found ' '

with 'à' or 'ù', but not with 'é' or 'è' !!!

   I know that in rules I can use \340 for à; but I need to use the
true chars in comments !
   I would like to understand what is wrong. ANTLR seems to accepts
all
printable ascii codes: in antlr.g and in preprocessor/preproc.g there
is the option
 "charVocabulary = '\3'..'\377';".

Can somebody help me ? Thanks a lot,
Jean-Claude.