[antlr-interest] build issues: bytecode assembly generation

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Oct 22 08:39:54 PDT 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 6:08 PM, Don Caton wrote:
Hi Don,

> Why did you write Antlr in Java in the first place, and why are you
> fighting
> with these issues?  C++ is at least as portable as Java

I'm not sure I can agree with this.  C++ still seems so incompatible
between compilers; there is nothing but chatter about why people can't
get the ANTLR C++ output to work with their compiler. ;)

> and it has no
> runtime to impose limitations that get the way of what you need to do.
>  I'm

True, but that says nothing about the language antlr is written
in...that's output runtime stuff. :)  (the goto stuff we're talking
about I presume).

Plus, antlr is a much better product with garbage collection as a whole
host of bugs go away. :)

Thanks,
Ter