[antlr-interest] Java Vs C++ war [sadly, was :Re: build issues: bytecode assembly generation]

Akhilesh Mritunjai virtualaspirin at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 12:44:25 PDT 2004

--- Don Caton <dcaton at shorelinesoftware.com> wrote:

> bleed.  But OTOH, user contributions from ANTLR
> users on various platforms
> could assist in that effort.  And to be honest,

Contributions from 1000s would make it work, at the
same time would make it difficult to maintain and
extend even by 1!! Right now Terrence and Rick can
develope the whole thing *alone*.

> there's no "official"
> support for Antlr on Windows platforms to speak of.
> It took quite a bit of
> trial and error to get Antlr to even run under
> Windows.

With due respect, here is an unofficial version:

1. Download JRE from java.sun.com
2. Click-n-Install
3. Open command prompt (start->run-> type "cmd")
4. Type "java -cp C:\path\to\antlr.jar antlr.Tool"
5. Enjoy

> Yes, like parsers <g>.  In a debug build, it takes
> my antlr-generated (C++)
> parser about 15 seconds to parse a 77k source file.
> With full optimizations
> enabled, the same code finishes in slightly under 2
> seconds.  I'm not
> kidding.  I was sweating bullets when got my parser
> to work and found it was
> so slow.

And this is a Java limitiation, How ??

ANTLR is just a parser "generator". It doesn't parse
your source files itself. ANTLR can generate
Java/C++/C# code as per your convenience and the C++
code will run like any other similar C++ code
generated by other means. Please enlighten me how the
choice of language in which "generator" is written
affects the quality/speed of "generated" program ??

For that reason it doesn't matter even if antlr was
written as shell or perl script !!! It generates C++
code fine and now its your compiler/system's task to
compile/run it fast.

Sadly this discussion has degenerated into language of
choice for ANTLR, whereas the whole point Terrence was
pointing to was optimizing ANTLR's "output for java
parser". Folks, it had NOTHING to do with language in
which antlr *itself* has been written...

take my 2 paise and please drop this pointless
discussion here!

- akhilesh