[antlr-interest] Antlr backends (was: no more java vs x language ;)

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Sat Oct 23 09:35:43 PDT 2004

[...]

> But perhaps it would be in your interest to give one or another word to
> my question about a new output engine. I asked a few days ago what is
> required to add a code generator for Delphi (Object Pascal). I got a hint
> to look at the C# runtime, but this helps only if you know where to start
> and what must be implemented. Is there really no document describing the
> process of creating a new code generator?

For the Antlr v2.x series, it's a major pain in the butt.  The only real
way to learn how to do it is to look at the existing backends and see what
they have to do.

For the nascent Antlr v3.x series, it's going to be pretty easy.  Witness
how much Ric was able to accomplish in just a couple of days prior to the
recent Antlr workshop.

Take care,
	John