[antlr-interest] Re: I Can't decide between GOLD or ANTLR

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Oct 23 17:40:56 PDT 2004

The differences are pretty clear.  GOLD has one design goal and one
design goal only--multi-platform targeting for an LALR parser.
Functionality is very limited--you step through the parser by calling
a "parse()" function and get a returned value identifying an LALR
parsing event.  GOLD is a very clever toy, but I would hate to try to
do real work with it--too many extensions are needed that have not yet
been written.  There are some language-dependent extensions that
others have provided, but even those seem to fall far short of ANTLR
capabilities.  Note the complete lack of example grammars on the
website, not to mention real applications to study.

ANTLR, on the other hand, is a production grade language translator
generation package, with very good development support:  the generated
code is understandable and can be walked through with a conventional
debugger, if necessary); trees make it possible to do significant
language transformation; ANTLR grammars are quite maintainable.

The RTFM response was intended to head off a pointless "religious"
discussion.  It was clear from your message that you hadn't done your
homework on this--looking at the docs and asking how even a simple
application would be written with the tool would lead you to the above
conclusions.  And I am afraid that I have grossly understated ANTLR
capabilities.

--Loring

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "binaryxor101"