[antlr-interest] Re: thoughts on source-to-source workshop at oopsla 2004

atripp54321 atripp at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 12:47:58 PDT 2004

Ter,
Interesting notes!
Do you have a list of the systems that were represented?
I'm guessing TXL and DMS (from Semantic Designes) where there,
but I'm curious as to what the others were.

I had looked at a few of these when I was first starting on my
C-to-Java translator (www.jazillian.com). I had the same impression
that you had about "big, closed systems" vs. "small tools to
be incorporated into a larger program". I wasn't convinced that
any of these could do something as simple as convert a printf()
call to a System.out.println() call. Seems to me that
"hand-coding" would will be required all over the place, and
trying to integrate, say, TXL with my own Java code looked
like a nightmare. So after several months work, I gave up on
AST-to-AST translation and came up with my own system
(described briefly here: http://jazillian.com/design.html)

I'm also curious...if you got a flavor for what each of these
things do, which one would you guess would be the best
platform for building, say, a C to Java translator?

Andy