[antlr-interest] TreeDL news: tutorial, new releases, mailing lists

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Wed Oct 27 09:44:47 PDT 2004

Alexey,

  I find this TreeDL system quite interesting.  It is closer to the way
I think than the typical homogeneous ASTs in ANTLR.  However, I see a
couple of issues when comparing it to things I've done:

1) I notice that you do not utilize Generic collections (ala Java 1.5).
Is this something you are considering adding?  It would be a nice touch.

2) Your visitor pattern include "visitXYZ" methods.  I've found that for
many structures an "enterXYZ" and "leaveXYZ" pattern is more suitable.
In fact, one might argue that anything that has children would probably
benefit from the "enter-leave" pattern (also found in SableCC if I'm not
mistaken).  It doesn't matter for things like evaluation, but if you
want to output HTML (for example), it is nice.

3) I could not tell from the documentation but it seems that (at least
for children), you implement get methods.  Do you also implement set
methods?  Finally, are attributes handled similarly?  I like the
attributed tree idea, but I'd like some control over the get/set methods
(to allow for things like cache invalidation, for example).

4) I didn't see this explicitly stated in your calc example, but is the
interface for the visitor generated automatically?  If so, that is a
very nice touch.

5) It isn't clear what the purpose of the "Syntax Grammar" section is.
How is this used?  It seems like the tree definition + ANTLR grammar is
pretty complete.  I don't see what the .bnf file is needed for.

6) Your tree directive seems to be used to indicate what package the
eventual definitions will be included in.  Why not use the word
"package" instead of "tree".  To me, "tree" implies it has something to
do with the data structures themselves rather than just their location
in the package hierarchy.

Items #1-4 represent differences between TreeDL and the way I have been
approaching things.  I would be very interested in seeing how these
particular aspects of TreeDL evolve because I prefer your high-level
approach (so long as it includes the functionality I need).

Looks very interesting.  Please keep us posted.

--
Mike