[antlr-interest] Re: build issues: bytecode assembly generation

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 28 09:02:23 PDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:29:33AM -0000, micheal_jor wrote:
> > support for Antlr on Windows platforms to speak of.  It took quite a
> bit of
> > trial and error to get Antlr to even run under Windows.
>
> I presume you mean support for "using the ANTLR C++ code generator and
> runtime library with MSVC++ on Windows". If so, all I can say is that
> the support has gotten much better since 2.7.4 was released (Ric now
> has MS's compiler I believe). There has been a lot of useful
> discussion on this list about ANTLR/C++ on Windows.

Windows MSVC support depends on community patches submitted to the list or
to me directly. I have the free version of MSVC 7.1 but I can't do nothing
really usefull with (lack of (nmake) makefiles with the right incantations
for the separate tools) so far I cannot build working binaries.

The biggest good thing for msvc support was MSVC 7.1 which is finally a
decent C++ compiler features wise. Now only DLL's and STL..... (or windows
people drop the DLL obsession for antlr's support lib... ;) )

> There are some efficiency issues with ANTLR lexers (especially if you
> use the more advanced ANTLR lexer options) which ANTLR3 should fix.
> The distribution has a sample showing how to couple Flex lexers to
> ANTLR parsers. Search the list for past discussions.

Just wait till you see some antlr3 generated C code ;) (before my holidays
I hacked a bit on the prototype I made for the workshop, the new one should
be a lot faster still (using mmap just for prototype kicks)), I'll post
some rough figures when I get to finishing it)

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----