[antlr-interest] rpms for antlr

Xavier Décoret xdecoret at free.fr
Fri Sep 17 03:00:03 PDT 2004

Ric Klaren wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:06:52AM +0200, Xavier Décoret wrote:
>

>>I build rpms for installing antlr easily on all our machines. You can
>>find them at:
>>http://artis.imag.fr/Membres/Xavier.Decoret/resources/antlr/index.html#rpms
>>

>Great! Is this based on the included spec file ? If not I'd appreciate
>patches to the included spec file.

Yes it is the included spec file. What patches do you suggest.

>Did you base this on java or on gcj ? How did you solve the problem with
>java on linux (e.g. the lack of a standard place where it's installed? Or
>did this improve lately?)

I solved it the dictatorial way ;-). I made it depend from j2sdk which
is a freely available rpm.

>>Building the rpm I found a minor problem with antlr-2.7.4.tar.gz. when
>>doing make install, you get antlr.jar installed in
>>/usr/share/antlr-2.7.3 so I guess the version number was not changed.
>>

>Yeah that one slipped through :( I can provide a 'service pack' patch on
>2.7.4 that fixes a load of issues found after release.

I guess you mention that to Terence and it will be in 2.7.5

>>I also have some questions for Terence Parr.
>>- is that OK if I distribute the rpms?
>>- for the license, I put "Terence Parr" for the moment. I understood
>>that ANTLR is free but can I say it is GLP?
>>- is there any special reason you are not using libtool for building
>>libantlr.a for C++?
>>

>Well I'm not Terence but anyway ;) GPL (at least I assume you mean GPL) is
>quite different from public domain. Which is the current license for antlr.
>So better stick public domain in the RPM header (at least I assume you talk
>about the license tag for the RPM header?).

All right, I'll slip public domain for the license tag (currently I put
"Terence Parr").

>Redistribution should be ok it's public domain after all, only if it's
>somehow modified then you should better mark it as such in a readme or the
>RPM header. You can also upload the RPM's to antlr.org. Or put a link on
>antlr.org to your site (that's what I do with my antlr snapshots, that's
>more convenient than hassling with the upload file thing)
>
>Actually it could be cool if Terence made a yum repository for antlr on
>antlr.org (it's only a certain directory structure on a ftp/webserver) That
>way we could automatically push out updates.

That would be great. Actually, I made a rpm for that reason: it is now
on our internal yum server.

>I didn't use libtool because it doesn't add anything when building a static
>archive. It only adds delays in the build (ok not a big issue anymore since
>I got my new machine ;) )

It does add a lot! But it is subtle. I am building a static library A
with libtool. It links with libantlr.a.  Then I am building a shared
library B that links with A. If I build libantlr.a with libtool, then
this process works and I can distribute the libB.so. But if I use the
libantlr.a build by Terence package, libtool refuse to build libB.so (I
am not sure why).

So I would like a default built with libtool ;-)

But it is not that important...