[antlr-interest] infinite loop in tree

antlruser thief at iol.ie
Tue Sep 21 09:35:20 PDT 2004

Hey everyone,
I have a situation where the following string may arise

blah CLIPPED

I want to represent this in an AST as:

LS_CLIPPED

   blah

so I have the following in my grammer

factor
  : v:variable (l:leftSidedOperators[#v] { #factor=#l; })?
  ;

leftSidedOperators[AST operator]
  : CLIPPED {#leftSidedOperators = #(#[LS_CLIPPED,"LS_CLIPPED"],
#operator);}
  ;

However when the AST is generated I get a StackOverflowError and as
infinite representation of the Tree like
LS_CLIPPED->blah->LS_CLIPPED->blah->LS_CLIPPED etc.

Can anyone help me with this.
Thanks in advance,
Mark