[antlr-interest] Members of the Axis of Evil prefer ANTLR

iank at bearcave.com iank at bearcave.com
Thu Sep 23 18:49:28 PDT 2004

> From what I can tell, there are a few countries--Libya, Sudan, Cuba,
> Iran--with whom the US has active sanctions and those are the ones
> that might be affected.  In theory, the same restrictions probably
> apply to ANTLR now, so this is not really a change.  I don't think
> that you'll be thrown in jail for distributing ANTLR without
> restrictions, but what do I know about trade law?

  There is no practical way to limit distribution of information
  published on the Internet.  I think that even the US government has
  this figured out.  We're all in the same boat.  I have published a
  bunch of wavelet signal processing code that has been used by people
  all over the world.  There is no way that I can stop someone in Iran
  from downloading it and still make it available to someone in
  Wisconsin.

  I know that the IEEE has some issues sending magazines to these
  countries (you could probably add North Korea).  I seem to recall
  that these were cleared up.  As far as I know the only way to really
  get into trouble is for a US citizen to spend US dollars in these
  countries.

  One way you can handle this issue, if you're really worried, is
  include a link that says that "you can't download this stuff if
  you're from a 'bad country'" (And, by the way, I think that some or
  all of the trade restrictions on Lybia have been lifted since they
  came clean about their nuclear program)  Sort of like the adult sites
  that say "You're over 18 right?".

  There are also first amendment issues.  I very much doubt that any
  court would find that the government's interest in prohibiting Iran
  from reading about the Wavelet Lifting Scheme or getting the ANTLR
  parser justifies restricting publication.

  Ian