[antlr-interest] Serious doubts on usage of incremental parsinginides

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Tue Apr 26 09:40:32 PDT 2005

[...]

> So here is my problem stated once again - You can't run an incremental
> parser on every keystroke cause no matter how fast the parser is, the
> amount of 'other' stuff to update will slow the editor.

Depends on how tightly you need/want to constrain the synchronization of
the various views.

[...]
> So what's the use of an incremental parser.

For some situations, people do really want the system to be extremely
strict.  Though, in most of those cases that come immediately to mind,
the interface is relatively simple.

Of course, in those really strict cases, I don't know that I'd call them
incremental parsers as much as I'd call them extremely constrained
editors.

Take care,
	John