[antlr-interest] automatic token type per literal

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 09:11:23 PST 2005

Let's say I have a grammar having stolen the Java
IDENT lexer rule.  In my parser, I have the following:

tokens { FOO; }

somerule
    :    f:"foo"^ { #f.setType(FOO); } BAR
    ;

Have I missed a feature by means of which I can (once)
permanently set the association between ttype FOO and
the literal "foo"?  If not, is there a rationale for
the absence of such a feature?  If the answer to THAT
is no, might such a feature find its way into ANTLR3?
;)  I tried overriding the ttype in the IDENT lexer
rule but the ambiguity issues were (at my level of
expertise) insurmountable.  :)  I'm a longtime lurker
but still fairly green wrt actually making ANTLR do
anything...

TIA,
Matt