[antlr-interest] Profiler 2

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Thu Dec 1 19:18:43 PST 2005

> > V3 needs to be *very* competitive performance-wise with the Coco/
> > R's and
> > other LLn CCs and, with the best of the [G|LA]LR bunch or risk
> > becoming
> > irrelevant imo.
>
> Well, the ANTLR v2 generated stuff is not the fastest in the
> world at
> the moment but the tool is more popular than many other tools even
> so--I'm not sure we have a huge problem.

My bad. I should have mentioned that I was addressing the ~20% of potential
users/applications for whom speed matters at least as much as ANTLR's
productivity benefits. Ruslan is a member of that group...

> Now for compilers and
> really time-sensitive stuff, ANTLR probably has much less market
> penetration.

Why do you think this is the case?. Is this strictly related to
historical/current performance or something else?.

> The v3 stuff SHOULD be much faster even w/o tweaking it
> yourself, but
> we'll have to see what actual numbers say.

Yep.

Micheal