[antlr-interest] speaking of => etc...

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Thu Dec 8 14:42:59 PST 2005

Hi,

> Actually I wonder about the option of making a verbose and a symbolic
> syntax. Most people look at things akin: {fred} ##<$>><1>//!!%

I'm also a fan of a more wordy syntax in general (we all hate Perl,
don't we?) but in the case of ANTLR I think it wouldn't help much.

People are used to use special characters for all the magic in language
recognition, and using full words within the rules (as opposed to
"scope" etc.) would limit the choice of rule names. Adding a special
character in front of the word is the worst of the two worlds, imho.

Martin