[antlr-interest] Jazillian C to Java translator

Andy Tripp atripp at jazillian.com
Sun Dec 18 17:56:07 PST 2005

>Hi Andy
>
>Great work!

>wrote:
>>/ unsigned -->         // Java has no unsigned keyword, just delete it
>/
>This one is tricky. A human will promote to next higher type (signed char
>-> short, signed int -> long) otherwise runtime results will be funky.
>Unsigned and signed have VERY different meanings of sign bit.

Right, lots of them are tricky :) I'm careful to clearly state that the
translation is NOT fully guaranteed
to run correctly. Also, these mappings are in a text file, so the user
can change them, delete them, or
add their own. And I continue to add smarts as time goes on. For
example, here I might examine all
references (i.e. static analysis) to try to determine whether it's safe
to just remove the "unsigned" keyword.