[antlr-interest] Hand made lexer 600(!!!!!) times faster of ANTLR'sone

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Feb 24 02:49:17 PST 2005

On 2/24/05 12:16 PM, "Micheal J" <open.zone at virgin.net> wrote:

>> I do not understand why in ANTLR C++ cannot be written small
>> string class in 100 lines of code which will increase speed
>> of ANTLR in 10 times AT LEAST.
>
> My apologies if you've already done this but, donating code to fix the
> problem (or to illustrate how it might be fixed) is very welcome. As ANTLR3
> matures, it can be molded to make it easier to incorporate these ideas on
> improving performance.

I mean that DIFFERENT developers have show some part of their codes how they
was able improve antlr generated files.

I am sure you can find these letters on archive.

I remember excellent letter from another Russian developer where he have
describe steps to improve. He also have point that he have plug on
allocation class.

Really, It is easy to see that during parsing we build tree, then we kill
the whole tree. So having own allocator in ANTLR it is possible kill the
whole tree not as million of delete calls, but as single call to destroy the
whole heap.

--
Best regards,
e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com