[antlr-interest] Left-factoring and recursion

Nigel Sheridan-Smith nbsherid at secsme.org.au
Mon Jan 10 14:38:55 PST 2005

Thanks Loring,

Like most projects, I needed this yesterday or about a year ago even, so
waiting for ANTLR 3 is not really an option ;)

Some of the options are:
1) Continue on with the existing ANTLR ASN.1 grammar - I've tried running it
with some simple MIBs but it strikes some trouble when it gets to some of
the SMI-specific things and the processing of OIDs. However, if I strip out
all the actions and extend it from there maybe that will work. The grammar
seems a little incomplete, but I'm still not 100% familiar with ASN.1
syntax, so it's hard to tell if anything is missing.

2) Continue left-factoring, simplifying and removing recursion from my own
LL(k) grammar. I kept doing this yesterday with some success, but there are
multiple levels of recursiveness throughout the grammar and it could
potentially take weeks to sort through it all and then add actions, etc.

3) Try a LALR or other LR parser - I have put almost all of the grammar into
SableCC but I am being to realise how much power ANTLR has in comparison! I
will find out pretty soon how much work it's going to be to get the whole
grammar up and running! In any case, I'm going to end up with several
hundred generated java classes unless I can factorise the grammar down to
less rules. However, it appears that SableCC only allows one copy of each
terminal in any production!! Very annoying! I'd try yacc, etc but I really
just want something that presents the SMI information through a Java API.

4) Link to the 'libsmi' library through the Java Native Interfaces - this
library isn't perfect, and I would lose some cross-platform compatibility,
but it's looking like a relatively easy option at this stage.

5) Buy a licence to Java 'jasmi' library (http://www.mibdesigner.com/jasmi/)
or another equivalent tool. However, I'm a relatively poor student, so would
be reluctant to fork out the money on my own. Also, what happens if this
project then goes commercial later on down the track? If the product I
choose requires single-user licenses or royalties then it will be expensive
to on-sell another product that uses that library.

So I'm leaning towards (3), (1), (2)/(4) or (5) in approximately that order.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'm all ears! :D

Cheers

Nigel