[antlr-interest] ASTFrame usage?

Paul Johnson gt54-antlr at cyconix.com
Thu Jul 21 08:31:18 PDT 2005

Ric Klaren wrote:
> On 7/21/05, Paul Johnson <gt54-antlr at cyconix.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to use ASTFrame with C++, if possible, but first I'm trying to
>>get a Java example to work. However, I know almost exactly nothing about
>>Java, and I've spent a couple of hours trying to get the example in the
>>manual working:
>

> Hmmm dunno how easy it is to spawn a piece of java UI from a C++ process.

I was going to worry about that if I could get a java example to work.
Since I can't do the latter, I won't bother with the former. I borrowed
these imports from tinybasic.java:

> import java.io.*;
> import antlr.collections.AST;
> import antlr.collections.impl.*;
> import antlr.debug.misc.*;
> import antlr.*;

The new code compiles Ok with with javac, but the interpreter always
comes up with the same error whatever I do ("Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: antlr/collections/AST").

<whine>

Who on earth actually uses Java anyway? ANTLR has one of the steepest
learning curves of any tool or language I've ever used; learning Flex
and Bison is trivial by comparison. Forcing users to be Java-literate as
well really doesn't help.

</whine>

Paul