[antlr-interest] ANTLR or java

Xavier Benveniste xavier.benveniste at free.fr
Fri Jul 22 01:40:24 PDT 2005

Hi,

In a java program that use Hibernate for persistency, I have to parse String expressions and evaluate them.

There are only some remarkable terms like :
- IF, THEN, ELSE, ENDIF
- test operators : EQUALS, GREATER...
- logic operators : AND, OR
- math operators : PLUS, MINUS,..
- SQL statements.

As I'm newbie to ANTLR, I wonder whether I have to write a grammar and use ANTLR,
or simply use java (because I don't want to rewrite code like a function to add integers...).
Can anyone give me a starting point to achieve this ?
If the right choice is to use ANTLR, can anyone give me a brief description of the grammar I should develop ?

Regards,