[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0ea2 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea2 released!

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Mon Jun 13 09:00:35 PDT 2005

Matthew (et al.),

I have worked out why the color coding seems to be broken: a careful
examination of how it breaks, and a sip of Bridgeport IPA, showed that
it is out by 1 character position for each line. This is because it is
only parsing correctly when the newline sequence is the UNIX \n only
(and, I imagine, the MAC \r). Files that came from some Windows editor
will usually have \r\n and the syntax highlighting (and the editor pane
in general) are not dealing with this.

You will find it all magically works if you use gvim to rewrite the file
with \n as new line only. You could use any number of ways to change the
end of line character of course.

Personally, I found my use of the tool to be greatly enhanced once this
worked properly. The only thing I could do with now is a bit more
documentation on what is syntactically different in this pre-release.
Once I found the 3.0 demo stuff I made strides forward. Though it is
pretty reasonable to expect that if you are using the pre-release you
will have to wing it a bit.

My only fear (hoping not to start a religious war) is that graphical
tools built in Java always seem to crash, hang, have slow GUIs and so on
(at least on windows, and though it would be easy to blame Windows, I
don't think that is the issue). At the moment this tool suffers form the
same issues - though I am loathe to offer any judgment at this stage in
the game - I would prefer to contribute to its betterment.

I very much like the syntax diagrams, though I have not decided if they
are just a cool gimmick for the programmer or not yet. They certainly
will aid in documentation enormously. Perhaps we could have a mode that
could export all the syntax diagrams at once (sorry if it is there and I
missed it)?

Some suggestions (not criticisms):

*	I would suggest that errors from parsing the grammar appear by
"check grammar", or "Build", in their own pane, instead of the Java
console, and be able to double click them to locate the error in the
source code.

*	Don't prompt for output locations all the time, but allow a
change of 'properties' if the programmer wants to change the output
location after the first run.

*	In light of the above, perhaps have a project file that hold
such things. Borrowing from some of the good things in like Visual
Studio .Net 2003 (err, I mean the freeware tools such as Eclipse), is
not a bad idea. I realize of course that there was quite an effort to
get to this point first and such things tend to get filled in
afterwards.

Share and enjoy,

Jim