[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0ea2 and ANTLRWorks 1.0ea2 released!

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Tue Jun 14 16:48:06 PDT 2005

Sounds kinda like the local history in eclipse.

While it's save-based, each change is tracked and you can at any point
"replace (or compare) with local history" to see your changes. Of course at
a higher level there are SCM tools...

You could take this to a slightly higher level and save the undo stack from
an editor (like eclipse). I don't think that would be hard to do (just tweak
the undo manager).

However, you also need to be careful of timing with relation to refactoring
operations that can affect multiple files, so consistency could be kept
between files. But, the trick here is that other changes could be
interspersed between refactorings. In other words, the changes between
inter-related files could get in the way.

I kinda like the idea, but I don't think it provides enough beyond what we
already have (like local history and SCM) to really justify the extra work.

Also keep in mind that many commands tracked in an undo manager assume a
specific program state. For example, typing text often assumes insertion of
characters at a specific position, which is relative to previous commands
(so commands usually cannot be undone/redone out of their original context).

My kinda random 2c...

Later,
-- Scott

  _____