[antlr-interest] Learning quickly....need recommendations

Oscar Simpson oscar_j_simpson at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 23:18:48 PDT 2005

Well I made it through the first week without any major headaches. So far
I've been able to create a fairly robust grammar with only a few references
to the online documentation. I did cannibalize the lexer from the Java 1.3
grammar but that doesn't count :D

For the most part I've been following the common styling in the example
grammars in regards to using quoted strings rather than token id's. Now that
I've started doing more validation and cleanup on various parts of the
grammar I've been adding a lot more statements for calling setType() and
#([a,"a"], ##). I was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions on usage of
those types of statements. I'm particularly interested in situations where an
alternate approach is more beneficial, optimal, or preferred.

(yes I know I can assign a token to the quoted string in the tokens{} block I
decided not to go that route for a while)