[antlr-interest] Possible bug in Java grammar (all versions)?

William Bland wjb at abstractnonsense.com
Tue Mar 1 17:32:51 PST 2005

Unless I'm doing something particularly stupid (wouldn't be the first
time!), the following code seems to tickle a bug in the ANTLR parser
generated from every Java grammar that I could find:

=== Begin Java code ===
package com.foo;

public class Example {
    public Example() {
        super();
        System.out.println("ANTLR will not descend to this node in the
AST, unless the above call to super is commented out!");
=== End Java code ===

I added logging calls to each method in the generated
JavaTreeParser.java so I could see what was happening.  With the above
code, the parser appeared to fail to descend to the System.out.println
node of the AST - it only did so if I removed, or commented-out the call
to super().

Am I misunderstanding something, or is this a bug?  I tried using the
Java1.3, Java1.4 and both Java1.5 grammars from the ANTLR website, and I
am using ANTLR version 2.7.5.

Thanks for your help.
Best wishes,
		Bill.
--
It turns out that while it's easy to undo technical mistakes, it's not
as easy to undo personality disorders.        (Linus Torvalds)