[antlr-interest] Can ANTLR transform AST to XML?

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Sun Mar 13 10:44:40 PST 2005

[...]

> In my project, I want to use Antlr to parse my Java source code to
> generate AST tree. But I want to store AST in XML so that I can use this
> XML in my next module of the project. I wonder if the current Antlr can
> provide to tranform AST to XML.

Sure, just write a tree walker which dumps out the AST into an XML format.

The classic way is to use a syntax-directed approach where you just embed
e.g., print statements as the actions of the tree walker.

If you have more complex ordering/reuse/etc. needs in your output, you
might want to take the approach of using the walker to instantiate
StringTemplates.  Ter wrote an article about this:
http://www.codegeneration.net/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=77

Have fun,
	John