[antlr-interest] ANTLR AST, tree transformations and doing them declaratively

Akhilesh Mritunjai virtualaspirin at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 14:28:51 PST 2005

Hi everybody

What do people use for AST->AST non-trivial
tansformations ? Say if you have to clone some
sub-trees, apply some tranformations and/or mutations
over a set of type of nodes. Further, lets say these
the AST of homogenous.

Did anybody try doing it by means of a declarative
language ? eg some subset/counterpart of XPath/XQuery
?

Finally, I'd like to ask, what things I should look
out for if I need to implement such type of system ?

PS: In case anybody is interested, I'm doing an
analyzer for a domain specific language. I *can* do
this "normally", as in writing tons of code, but being
lazy and short on head-count, I'd like to do it in
least lines of human-written maintainable code. In
short, I'd like to skip writing code that computers
can write for me and for this, a system of this kind
would be interesting to look at.

Thanks
- akhilesh