[antlr-interest] translation of $x references in v3.0

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon May 2 11:38:49 PDT 2005

On May 1, 2005, at 3:37 PM, Matthew Ford wrote:

> I agree with Loring, and vote for just one prefix.  (the backwards
> compatible switch sounds good too)
> matthew
>
>> In fact, I'd vote against having more than one special character
>> for attributes in actions:  the only feature it provides the user is
>> allow duplicate use of names and it complicates the translation
>> mechanism
>> for the ANTLR backend developer.

Hi Matthew,

My logic is that dynamic attributes are such different critters than
regular args/return-values/labels attributes that they should be
clearly marked syntactically as different.  I use the "what is
a.b.c.d?" argument in Java as a case in point.  That could be any
number of things.  We'll try it out this Summer and then back it out if
everyone hates it. :)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com