[antlr-interest] Suggestion for antlr-interest mailing list

Paul Johnson gt54-antlr at cyconix.com
Wed May 11 14:31:43 PDT 2005

Prashant Deva wrote:
> Currently when you reply to a mail from the mailing list, the default
> address in the mail is that of the author of the mail ,and not of the
> list itself.
>
> This has led me a lot of times in accidentally replying to only the
> person itself, and not the mailing list, as i have forgotton to modify
> the reply field to point to 'antlr-interest' instead of the address of
> the person.
>
> Thus i propose that the mailing list should have a reply-to field so
> that by default all replies are sent to the mailing list and not the
> person who mailed to the list.

I agree. However, when you set up a Mailman mailing list, you (the list
administrator) are 'strongly encouraged' to set the Reply-To field to
the poster, not the list, and this is the default. The justification is
given in <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>. FWIW, I think
the article is nonsense.