[antlr-interest] Yet another idea for a completlygenericTreeParser

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Wed May 18 07:19:17 PDT 2005

> Scott repeats his Eclipse IDE example, and in that case the
> overhead introduced by the current system might be 30000
> nodes/hour, without node reuse. So what? I can't see any
> problem with GCing 30000 nodes/hour on a computer that's able
> to run Eclipse. I would be really surprised if that created
> an noticeable performance ditch.

I my plugin were the *only* thing running during editing, it might not be as
big of a deal. But it's not. For an IDE to be useful, it can't constantly
trigger GC pauses as you type. Death by 1000 paper cuts.

I'm done asking for this. If Ter doesn't do it, I will as an ANTLR patch so
people who want it can use it.

Same for being able to write

  person
    : name+ address*