[antlr-interest] v3 pre-release usage data and stat collection

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu May 19 10:20:47 PDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 9:50 AM, John Pybus wrote:

> Terence Parr wrote:
>
>> How do people feel about this?  Seems like it shouldn't bother
>> anybody and it will *only* occur during the pre-release days when
>> we'll have debugging and other stuff in there anyway.  Most
>> people  will be waiting for a full release, but the courageous and
>> intrepid  v3 pre-release users will have to hit "OK" once a week
>> in the  GUI. ;)  Naturally if you don't use the GUI, you will
>> never see the  dialog and no data will be sent.
>>

> As described, making it obvious what's about to be sent with the
> option to cancel it, and for the pre-releases only, I don't see any
> problems with it, and it should help produce a better tuned release.

Hi John,

There won't be any way to cancel it minus unplugging ethernet.  Just
like TiVo ;)  Your only choice will be to wait until a real release.
This release is only for the intrepid, believe me.  In exchange for
early access people will provide me with info to make the real
release better.  Another reason for the required nature is that to
get any hope of a scientific sample, I cannot let people self select
to send data or not.

Also note that at this time the GUI is in a big state of flux and GUI
source will not be provided for it for a couple of months.  The v3
ANTLR source will all be available at pre-release of course.

Thanks,
Ter