[antlr-interest] submission of patches, fixes, other contributions

Gerald B. Rosenberg gbr at newtechlaw.com
Mon May 30 21:41:31 PDT 2005

At 07:56 PM 5/30/2005, you wrote:

>I understand your contention but I must disagree.  It seems quite
>hypocritical to require a level of warranty from contributors that is not
>the same as what is given to the users.

Just to be clear, it is not a question of sharing risk with the users.  It
is properly a question of the personal responsibility and integrity of the
*contributors* to protect the entire community -- themselves, the project
and the users -- from the introduction of unnecessary risk.  The AFL merely
stops the progression of risk assessment at the level of the project lead
from reaching the users; the EPL instead tries to diffuse risk entirely to
the users.  Neither really deals with reducing risk to begin with, i.e.,
addressing the contributors, which is what I understand to be Terence's issue.

Now to your point.  What I suggest is not hypocritical, but you are correct
that the protections are asymmetric.  The free software market place is not
zero sum gain, but zero sum.  Wish the economic model was different, but
without monetization, there is no rational way to transfer risk in any
direction.  In such situations, the only way to remain viable is to
minimize as much as possible risk from the outset.

It is important to realize that, after almost 30 years, there have been
very few actual or even attempted adjudications of these clauses.  Even so,
the sensitivity of the community to the issue remains very high.  It is an
emotional and often very personal issue.  I do not believe that any
balancing of the interests in any direction will reduce that.  But, given
the sensitivity, I believe it best for all concerned to be sensitive from
the outset, and to work to that end as it tends to protect all.

As a practical matter, regardless of any technically legal asymmetry in the
license wording (and to a certainty if the risk is equally shared), the
contributor, the project and the community will all likely loose everything
in defense of even a minimally credible legal challenge.

Best,
Gerald

----
Gerald B. Rosenberg, Esq.
NewTechLaw
285 Hamilton Avenue, Suite 520
Palo Alto, CA  94301-2576

650.325.2100  (office)  /  650.703.1724  (cell)
650.325.2107  (fax)

www.newtechlaw.com