[antlr-interest] submission of patches, fixes, other contributions

Sebastian Kaliszewski sk at z.pl
Tue May 31 07:47:34 PDT 2005

Terence Parr wrote:
 > Howdy,
 >
 > In the old days, public domain was the most generous license to use  for
software.  Oddly enough, now it's not good at all.  I think a  large company
with 3 letters in their name has emailed me like 4  times from different
groups asking if I have a certification from  every contributor of patches
over the last 15 years that they had the  right to submit the patch and that
they granted me a license etc...   You get the picture.  Basically, nobody
wants to use software anymore  that could include stolen work etc...

 > Going forward, I must ask that people submit everything through the
website, which will track everything and have a "contributor's  license"
agreement etc...  It just asks that you certify you created  whatever you're
sending in and give me license to do whatever I want  with it.  Here is my
tentative language (in the box at the bottom):

 > http://www.antlr.org/misc/feedback
 >
 > Comments on the language and/or issues?

Well, it seems still to be somewhat fragile. I think the clean & sure way
would be something like:
I transfer the copyright of this submission to Terence Parr. This tranfer is
effective immediately, it is permanent and irrevocable. I certify that I
have the full legal right to do the aforementioned transfer, and I certify
that my work does not violate any third party rights. I give Terence Parr
the right to declare in any form, that I'm the contributor of the product
according to product's licence (BSD licence). The aforementioned declaration
mans puting my name (but tnothing more) in any published form of
contributors list.

This last 2 sentences might be important in many juristiction (most of
Europe, I think) where there are strong provacy protection laws.

rgds
--
Sebastian Kaliszewski