[antlr-interest] Re: added template rewrite stuff to blog

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Tue Nov 15 14:50:20 PST 2005

Hi,

> I just created an RSSTarget object for my TML translator.  Please try:
>
> http://www.antlr.org/blog/antlr3/lexical.tml?RSS
>
> (versus w/o the RSS parameter)
>
> to see if that 0.91 RSS comes across ok.  My stupid mac safari
> browser no longer seems to like RSS. :(  The raw XML looks ok
> though.  Actually an RSS aggregator doesn't seem to like it though it
> likes the other RSS from the site.  Is there a size limit or
> something on RSS?

Did you try Sam Ruby's feed validator? See
> http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.antlr.org%
2Fblog%2Fantlr3%2Flexical.tml%3FRSS

RSS is actually quite annoying about the content of the <description/>
element, afaik it should be escaped (X)HTML, e.g. HTML in which all <
are escaped to &lt; and & to &amp;, or just dump the contents into a
CDATA section. Most feed readers will support directly written HTML, but
your feed is currently not even a valid XML document - see the validator
output for more info on that. XML tends to look easy, but producing
correct output is sometimes surprisingly difficult. See
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/producing-xml/
on that.

> Note that for all RSS output, I've changed the content type to
>
> application/rss+xml
>
> Hopefully this is an improvement.

That's certainly correct.

> If that RSS for my "blogs" works, I'll add links.  Spending an hour
> making my blogs do RSS was much easier that wondering why confluence
> crashes my server;

Well, they kind of don't, though they are very close. There are very
valid reasons to rely on third party tools rather then doing it
yourself ;-)

Anyways, I look forward to see a nice ANTLR/Terence feed, so rock on.

Martin