[antlr-interest] Re: [stringtemplate-interest] $r.st vs $r.template

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Nov 22 11:51:26 PST 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 10:13 PM, Laurent Vaucher wrote:
>   Hi.
>
>> formalParameter
>>     :   type declarator
>>         -> parameter(type={$type.st},name={$declarator.st})
>>     ;
>>
>> ST is an officially approved abbreviation for StringTemplate in
>> email though ;)  Perhaps it's ok.
>
>   Tough decision you've got here. Of course .template is more
> explicit but if that "ANTLR+ST" is to become mainstream, we'll soon
> regret the short option. "Don't underestimate the power of
> conciseness." (I probably read that in some essay from Paul Graham).

So are you saying short is good or bad?  I'm leaning now
towards .template again.

>> By the way, do you like that ANTLR+ST integration?  I've got it
>> working and am converting my cminus.g translator to this v3
>> stuff.  Should be done shortly.
>
>   Not tried yet, though I'm working on a PowerBuilder->JavaScript
> expression translator (with ANTLR-2.7 and hand-written code
> generation). Is ANTLR v3 stable enough to use or is it still moving
> too much?

Well, Jim Idle claims to have working stuff with it.  The only
changes will be some small syntax changes for actions most likely.
The biggest issue is that bad input makes it crash ;)  That's my next
big project after getting ST integrated.

Ter