[antlr-interest] Trouble making 2.7.5 during install on Darwin/Mac OS X

Martin Proud mproud at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 03:48:19 PST 2005

Hello ANTLR Community,

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong place. Perhaps you would be so
kind to direct me otherwise?

I downloaded the 2.7.5 source distribution from the ANTLR web page to
my desktop. I then did ./configure in the terminal on my Mac running
OS X 10.4.3 and PPC Darwin 8.3.0 and it configured just fine (except
for saying C# support would be disabled, which is fine by me - it's
not like I can run .NET anyway).

When I went to make, however, I ran into a slew of errors.

As far as I know, I have GNU make, unless you need a certain version
number? Output from the configure step:

checking for make... /usr/bin/make
checking for gmake... no
checking for gnumake... /usr/bin/gnumake
checking for /bin/make... no
checking for /usr/bin/make... yes
checking whether /usr/bin/make is GNU make... yes
checking for make... /usr/bin/make

Also, I've got jikes and javac:

checking for java... /usr/bin/java
checking for gij... no
checking for jikes... /usr/bin/jikes
checking for javac... /usr/bin/javac
checking for gcj... no
checking for jar... /usr/bin/jar

So the errors: here's the first one:

mini:~/Desktop/antlr-2.7.5 martinproud$ make

>> make -C ./antlr all

*** compiling 209 Java file(s)

Found 1 semantic error compiling "ASTFactory.java":

                                <
    26. public class ASTFactory {
   . . .
   410. }

*** Semantic Error: A class file was not generated for the type
"antlr.ASTFactory" because a library method that it depends on was not
found. See system messages for more information.

And here's another error later on, on something as trivial as an
import statement, for Java Swing:

    15. import javax.swing.*;
               ^---------^
*** Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath,
bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Jikes could not find package
"javax.swing" in:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Classes/classes.jar
                /Users/martinproud/Desktop/antlr-2.7.5/antlr/antlr.jar
                /Users/martinproud/Desktop/antlr-2.7.5/scripts/..

I don't know what's going on here. Java 1.3.1 is installed by default,
as well as 1.4.1 and I've even got 5.0, so I can't imagine the trouble
is with java. Could jikes be giving me the jitters? Do I need any
special flags for configure or make? Any ideas? (Does anyone want my
config.status file?)

Thanks,

Proud