[antlr-interest] How does one handle variable number of function parameters?

Rob Greene robgreene at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:05:54 PST 2005

On 11/28/05, Sohail Somani <sohail at taggedtype.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-28-11 at 21:00 -0600, Rob Greene wrote:
> > At work, I'm trying to get functions to work within expressions but I
> > have no clue how to handle the variable number of parameters (the
> > functions will be defined outside of the grammar file). The example
> > (the basic interpreter) doesn't explain what's going on, so is simply
> > baffling to me.
>
> Functions within expressions? Could you elaborate a bit? Do you mean
> that an expression can contain a function call?

Exactly. I may be embedding something like
"veryImportantFunction(32/3, anotherFunc(3, 2)) < 25" or
"nameOfThis(12356) = 'Fred'". How do I get the subexpressions? (ie,
"32/3" and "anotherFunc(3,2)" for the veryImportantFunction.

I want to have the functions expandable without embedding them into
the grammar - especially since I'm the only one at this time with an
idea on how the whole thing works! Setting up the functions and
identifying them is pretty easy.

As an FYI, these functions will be going against various sets of data
as well as accessing the database. Not that it matters for the
exercise. :-)

How do I handle all the function parameter expressions is what's throwing me...
-Rob