[antlr-interest] Brainstom: Making ANTLR Studio & Antlr Eclipse play together

Torkild U. Resheim torkildr at resheim.no
Mon Oct 10 04:01:16 PDT 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 16:00, Prashant Deva wrote:
> As you guys already know, if you try using AS(ANTLR Studio) with AE(ANTLR
> Eclipse), AS seems to use the antlr provided with AE.
Classpath problem.

> Also you are not supposed to enable AS on a project which has AE enabled on
> it.
>
> The solution to the 2nd problem is simple. I have put AS project nature in
> a 'one-of' set. Scott can put the same 'one-of' set id in his plugin and
> thus you wont be able to enable both the plugins on the same project.
>
> But I cant seem to find the solution to the first problem. Can anyone
> familiar with eclipse give me any suggestions on solving this?
Perhaps you should consider assigning an Eclipse builder to the plugin. This
way which builder(s) will be used (and in which order) is controlled by the
contents of the .project file.

> This is how the current situation is-
> In the plugins directory, there are 2 files-
> org.antlr_xxx //for use by AE
> AntlrStudio.Antlr_1.0.0 //for use by AS
This is a bad plugin name according to the Eclipse norm....

> Now what is happening is the AS runtime seems to be using the codegen of '
> org.antlr' instead of AntlrStudio.Antlr , although i dont reference
> org.antlr anywhere.
> This is probably cause the package and class names are same in both the
> jars.
You should probably take a look at the plugin deployment classpaths. It is
possible to have different versions of the same classes in different plugins.

> So can anyone come up with any ideas on how to solve the problem?
>
> For those wondering about the antlr_2.7.6 jar inside the AntlrStudio_1.0.0
> directory, it is the runtime jar which is used when you run your projects.
> The AntlrStudio.Antlr is a special jar which contains special code used
> internally by AS.
> The antlr_2.7.6 is the normal antlr and is provided without a license, so
> you can distribute it with your progs, while everything else including the
> ' AntlrStudio.Antlr_1.0.0.jar' is proprietary.
>
> --
> Prashant Deva
> Creator, ANTLR Studio, http://www.antlrstudio.com
> Founder, Placid Systems
While I'm at it; I've downloaded and tried you product for a couple of days.
It looks cool :-). I think you should remove all IMarker instances from the
resource before building, not just your own. If someone has i.e. markers left
from AE these will never go away the way things are now. Your plugin does not
seem to contribute some help. I guess it's early days still, but I'm missing
clues on how to get started with the debugger.
--
Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards                                  ((
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim, Senior Systemutvikler / Software Engineer    ))