[antlr-interest] syntactic predicates and exceptions

Paul Johnson gt54-antlr at cyconix.com
Thu Oct 20 00:51:12 PDT 2005

Martin Probst wrote:

> Meaning: get rid of of exceptions for backtracking if you want to (we
> don't use backtracking anyways, to be honest) but feel free to keep them
> for failing source files. A file that is incorrect in terms of the
> language is an exceptional case for a parser, and those exceptions are
> valid.

But it's the normal case for a human sitting in front of a terminal
developing a program, which is what I spend my life doing. I don't care
what the compiler is doing if it's running overnight or analysing
machine-generated input.

Having said that, it's the backtracking that's the problem. It makes no
difference to me if it takes marginally longer to report a syntax error.

Paul