[antlr-interest] Re: Speed vs Readability

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at metalanguage.com
Thu Oct 20 13:44:24 PDT 2005

Prashant Deva wrote:
> I agree.
> Readability should be the job of ides.
> ANTLR itself should focus on going fast.

I think this whole discussion is lingering on a presupposition that is
simply wrong. Code using if statements as opposed to exceptions can be
eminently readable, possibly even more so. So instead of discussing on
how important readability is, we better focus - with examples - on how
things would look and perform one way or the other.

I know ANTLR exceptions have annoyed me in the past on both
readabilty/traceability and performance.

Andrei