[antlr-interest] Re: Antlr Studio is cool.

Jose San Leandro jose.sanleandro at ventura24.es
Wed Sep 21 11:31:00 PDT 2005

> I don't understand the fuss. If Prashant has the feeling he want to
> sell his work rather than give it away for
> free, then that is his decision, isn't it?
> After all, developing software is quite a bit of work - and if it
> works well, and helps me to get my job done
> more quickly with less hassle, then why shouldn't I pay for it?
> IMHO that is one downside of all this opensource hype - there's no
> moral obligation to give away your
> work for free at all. That's precisely the reason that a lot of
> people don't like the GPL, for that matter.
>
> But I digress...:-)
>
> Kay

Well, that is not the difference between open source and free software,
between OSI-compliant and GPL-compliant licenses. It has nothing to do with
pricing models.
Anyhow, I'm one of those who are willing to pay for good software, but not at
the price of my freedom and the ones who could eventually use my
contributions on it.
For me, first is freedom, second is price. If someone develop a tool like
ANTLR Studio, I'm initially interested, until I notice the author doesn't
think I deserve the rights I don't want to "give away".
The sad thing about these kind of discussions is the fact that both opinions
are considered equally acceptable, even when one approach cares about people
and the other just doesn't consider it, by using
"monetary"/"real-life"/"non-comunist" arguments.

At this point, I cannot end without asking Terence a question I'm sure he has
answered many times (sorry for that): Why isn't ANTLR GPLed?