[antlr-interest] Price of Antlr Studio

Jose San Leandro jose.sanleandro at ventura24.es
Thu Sep 22 02:06:19 PDT 2005

Hi Prashant,

The last thing I want is to bother anybody.
I just feel many of you miss the key point. I's not about whether anybody can
download it at no extra cost. It's not about commercial vs free.
I personally find uninteresting if you develop ANTLR Studio aiming to make
money or not. It's your decision, which doesn't affect me but my wallet (I
probably should be more used to pay regardless of the license). That is what
*commercial* means. However, it's good you have found a motivation to develop
a tool to help the ANTLR community.

However, if I get your software, having paid for it or not, and I notice that
I don't have access to the source code, and that you force me to accept a
EULA which restricts almost everything I can do with your software, then some
people would have no option but to reject it. That is what *free* means.
There's no need to accept unacceptable rules, even though we're used to. The
author gets an illussion of "protection" by legally restricting and
physically difficulting other uses of his software.

If you make it commercial, and *free*, then I would keep an eye open on your
IDE, and even offer you my help eventually. If you make it commercial but
*not free*, then, for me, ANTLR Studio doesn't exist.

One last thing, please don't get confused by Copyright and licenses. Nobody
has the right to claim himself as the author of ANTLR Studio. You write it,
you are the Copyright owner.

Greetings,