[antlr-interest] Price of Antlr Studio

Christopher Schultz christopher.d.schultz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 06:55:06 PDT 2005

Anthony,

> Ter has consistently said he wants Antlr to be widely used, and has
> deliberately chosen the BSD licence so that it can be used in commercial
> products ...

The GPL has no prohibitions about use in commercial software. You can
sell your software all you like. But, you also have to give it away.
That may not make a whole lot of sense to you, but it sure does to a
company like Red Hat.

If you are talking about "GPL" as the specific GPL license (and not the
LGPL), then you're right: it's "viral". However, if you mean GPL as a
term to mean "A Gnu-Style Licence", then you're wrong: the LGPL isn't
viral. You can feel free to sell software that uses LGPL'd components,
and you don't have to give away your source or binaries.

Here's my two cents on the license of ANTLR: I would have preferred that
Terrence require mods to be given back to the community. He (and others)
have spend a ton of time and energy building this product that is both
libre and gratis and I think that the entire community would benefit
from 3rd-party additions. If Terrence won't put them into the core ANTLR
distro, they can be offered as add-ons or they can even fork the code.

I just hate it when people make blanket statements like Gnu licenses
prohibit commercial development. :(

Anyway, I'm off my soapbox.

-chris