[antlr-interest] Advice needed

Jeremy D. Frens jdfrens at calvin.edu
Sat Apr 8 10:33:46 PDT 2006

Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book or any good writing about
> creating a language interpreter or a compiler. Well, the lexer, the parser
> and the tree walker part I understand but what happens next if one would
> like to build a simple language interpreter.
>
> (Function Scope?, Stack?!)

I'd recommend _Essentials of Programming Languages_ by Friedman, Wand,
and Haynes.  I took a PL course from Friedman, and we (obviously) used
this book.  In my mind, it's a clear winner for implementing an
interpreter and learning about the options you have when implementing it.

It was definitely the motivating basis for my own interpreter No Latte
(http://nolatte.sf.net).

jdf

--
* Jeremy D. Frens * Professor, Computer Science * jdfrens at calvin.edu *
                     ``Are you like me?''  -- David Letterman